2.4 kernel & lilo

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Tue Nov 21 20:14:50 PST 2000

> uncompressed the 2.4 sources into a directory linux_2.4 and created a
> symlink 'linux' to the old sources. Then I did everything the lfs book told

Everything above and below this snippet seems fine. I have such a configuration

on Linux partitions on 3 hard drives. And I just chose from LILO menu which
kernel
to load. And I assume you are friends with LILO. The only thing that looks
suspicious
is your symlink "linux" to old sources. You know, headers are included in
kernel's
sources by constructs like
#include <linux/blah.h> or #<asm/blah/scsi/xyzzy.h>, etc.
Angle braces <> mean that a relative path from include's default path used.
Default paths are /usr/include, /usr/local/include, and couple not so often
used.
That's why you earlier created "asm" and "linux" symlinks - in order to let
preprocessor
find headers of your kernel. I suspect you compiled your 2.4.0 with 2.2.x
headers.
Try to change your "linux" link to the new kernel source tree and rebuild.
HTH,

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org