Network Support using PCMCIA and a 3Com 575

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 07:45:52 PST 2000

Misquoted from Seri Al-Najjar on Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 02:39:09PM -0000:

> I've tried using the included Ethernet startup scripts that come with
> the PCMCIA-CS package, I've read through the PCMCIA Howto, I've checked
> to make sure that my cards supported (it is).
>
> If anyone knows the quick a dirty way of configuring it then please let
> me know.

What is going wrong?
I only had to make a few changes to /etc/network.opts:

# Network adapter configuration
#
# The address format is "scheme,socket,instance,hwaddr".
#
# Note: the "network address" here is NOT the same as the IP address.
# See the Networking HOWTO.  In short, the network address is the IP
# address masked by the netmask.
#
case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,*)
    INFO="fire_fly on localnet.rcl"
    IF_PORT=""
    BOOTP="n"
    DHCP="n"
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=""
    IPADDR="192.168.189.2"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    NETWORK="192.168.189.0"
    BROADCAST="192.168.189.255"
    GATEWAY="192.168.189.1"
    # Things to add to /etc/resolv.conf for this interface
    DOMAIN=""
    SEARCH=""
    DNS_1=""
    DNS_2=""
    DNS_3=""
    # NFS mounts, should be listed in /etc/fstab
    MOUNTS=""
    # If you need to override the interface's MTU...
    MTU=""
    IPX_FRAME=""
    IPX_NETNUM=""
    # Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface
    start_fn () { return; }
    # Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface
    stop_fn () { return; }
    # Card eject policy options
    NO_CHECK=n
    NO_FUSER=n