Copying Windows system using Linux

Miroslav Hrachovec hrachovm at vscht.cz
Mon Nov 20 04:00:57 PST 2000

> My LFS system shares one of my drives with a Windows 98 system, which I
> boot very infrequently.  I'm about to replace the drive with a larger
> one. I've got the HD upgrade mini-HOWTO, and I think I know what to do
> as regards copying my Linux partition over.
>
> My question is: Can I use Linux to copy my Windows partition over as
> well - by mounting the old and new vfat partitions and using "cp -ax"?
> It seems to me that it should work, is there any reason it might not?

I don't know if it will work. At least you have to use FORMAT.EXE /s
to make your drive bootable. Here helps no 'cp' no 'dd' It has to be
FORMAT.EXE-generated bootsector. If you will succeeded let as know.

But, I have other solution. There is excelent program called Norton
Ghost from Symantec. It is tool for saving partition/disk into one file.
And it has capabilities to extract it to the larger partitition.
It isn't free but you can Try before Buy ...

		Mirek

___________________h__ Ustav pocitacove a ridici techniky, VSCHT Praha
__________________h___ Dept. of Computing and Control Engineering, ICT Prague
___m_mm___mm____h_hh__ 0420-02-2435 4174 _____________ Technicka 5