emacs to work on x (kde2)

Peter Morris morris at math.psu.edu
Sun Nov 19 12:25:20 PST 2000

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, ej wrote:

> Peter Morris wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:
> >

> > > emacs doesn't have X interface.
> > >

> > Well, yes it does. I use its X interface every day.
> >

> I think you have to use xemacs for it to work under X.

No, really, honestly, you don't. I use emacs, not xemacs. Here's a quote
from the emacs info page:

"On a text-only terminal, the Emacs display occupies the whole screen.
On the X Window System, Emacs creates its own X windows to use."

If you open emacs in an xterm window and don't want it to run in its own
window, you use the -nw option. I leave it to the interested reader to
figure out what 'nw' stands for.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org