kernel-2.4.0 networking

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Sun Nov 19 07:28:06 PST 2000

Henning Rohde wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> which version of modutils do you use?
>
> i had to discover, that older versions of modutils (notably 2.3.17) do
> not reproduce the new directory-sceme of /lib/modules/2.4*/ in
> /etc/modules.conf.
>
> so i would like to advise to upgrade modutils.
>
> Henning
>
> Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I noticed that on the system which runs 2.4.0test10 kernel
> > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > gives something like "modprobe: can't locate net-pf-9"
> > This net-pf-9, IIRC is the request for loop.o
> > ( if case you compiled network loopback as a module ).
> > IMHO it's a leftover from 2.2.x, because 2.4.0 kernel config
> > doesn't even have such an option - loopback must be molded
> > in the networking code.
> > Neverthless, lo gets brought up.
> >
> > Any different experience ?
> >
> > Sergey Ostrovsky.
> >
> > --

That wasn't the case.
When you configure net-tools, it asks a lot of questions about interfaces
you would like to support.
It queries _all_ the interfaces you configured when you execute ifconfig.

If an interface isn't built into kernel, kmod asks modprobe to bring an
appropriate module in.
At this point the behavoir is different for 2.2.x and 2.4.0 kernels.
I understand it this way:
When running on 2.2.x kernel, modprobe looks into modules.dep
( which was built looking into System.map ) and sees it just wasn't
built, returns an error code
to kmod, kmod reports to the kernel, ifconfig receives this error from
its system call.
Ifconfig knows it's not a big deal, it does not prevent it from
activating interface, the boss just
did lousy job.
When running on 2.4.0 kernel, modprobe looks into modules.dep,
thinks that you really know what you're doing, just forgot to register
your very own,
not included in the kernel distribution module in /etc/modules.conf.
And in addition to everything stated above for 2.2.x writes to stderr a
message.
Lesson:
    For 2.4.0 kernels configure net-tools just with interfaces you
configured kernel.
In this case, the message from modprobe is harmless, it just makes an
impression that something is wrong while
everything is OK.
BTW, I use modutils-2.3.20

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org