devpts

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 18 09:00:05 PST 2000

Misquoted from Simon Geard on Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 11:33:21PM +1300:
> On Friday 17 November 2000 11:33, you wrote:
> > A followup to my own post. Hopefully this information will be usefull
> > for someone else.
>
> Have you done any experimenting with the complete devfs, rather than just
> devpts? I've been playing with it, according to the instructions in kernel
> documentation, but no luck - the filesystem isn't being mounted, and the
> daemon won't run.

I had no problems with it, but then I ignored all the instructions in
the kernel documentation.

There are three kernel options to set it up:

Code maturity level options  --->
    Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

File systems  --->
    /dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
      Automatically mount at boot

There is a compatibility daemon, but you are doing your own distribution
so who needs it?

You could update your some files it /etc, or do things the interesting way:

reboot with init=/bin/bash
look inside your new /dev for your root device, possibly:
/dev/discs/disc0/part1

now you can remount you root file system rw

Change /etc/inittab:
/dev/tty1, /dev/tty2, ... are now /dev/vc/1, /dev/vc/2

Change /etc/fstab

remember to remount your root file system ro

reboot, and this time init should work.
Now you can fix all the things with explicit device names like:
gpm, x, pppd

If you think some devices are missing, try loading their modules.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org