Fileutils won't compile

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 16 05:59:12 PST 2000

On November 16, 2000 08:55 am, you wrote:
> I'm venturing in the bold new world of LFS for the first time here :)
> Now the first few packages would compile allright (except some
> insignificant error with the bash install) but now I'm trying to compile
> File utils and it keeps giving me the following error:
>
> dircolors.c:40: macro `strndup' used without args
> make[2]: *** [dircolors.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/lfs/usr/src/fileutils-4.0/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/lfs/usr/src/fileutils-4.0'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>
> and then it aborts. This is in the first stage of compiling everything
> statically. So...what is the problem here? I followed the instructions to
> the letter. I'm using Debian woody if it's any help.

it's not your fault, it's the unstable debian's (well actually the Glibc
version it uses)

edit the dircolors.c, go to line 40 and comment it out.

it contains:
     char *strndup();
Change it into:
     /* char *strndup(); */

If you get similar errors, follow the same procedure

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org