installing sound card

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Nov 16 02:26:06 PST 2000

> the way i installed my hardware in lfs is that i compiled them in the
> kernel like my 2 nic cards and the sound card. now the nics are install
> and configured with no problems but i don't think my sound card is
> working. my two nics are pci while my sound card is isa. i can see the
> dma's, irq's, and io's are present in the /proc files as i configured
> them in the kernel but the is no sound playing ( i think.. my kde is not
> giving any sound.. is there another way to check?). is there something
> else that i have to do after installing the sound card in the kernel?

If sound is compiled as a kernel module, you need to load that module -
something I worked out after finding some such commands in my redhat install.
I've added the following script as /etc/init.d/sound, with a symlink
/etc/rcS.d/S40sound.

#!/bin/sh
# Begin /etc/init.d/sound

source /etc/init.d/functions

echo -n "Starting sound modules..."
modprobe -s sb midi
evaluate_retval

# End /etc/init.d/sound

Obviously, modules may vary depending on your setup - the above is for an
AWE64 ISA. I have the following in /etc/modules.conf.

#Sound
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /usr/local/bin/sfxload /usr/synthgm.sbk
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

Hope this helps...

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org