various problems

Robert Bercik bercikr at georgetown.edu
Wed Nov 15 19:07:41 PST 2000

Duraid wrote:

> 1) im installing netscape 6 on lfs. when running the netscape-install
> script i get:
>
> error in loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open
>
> although i can find it in:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.2/libstdc++.so
>
> when i do: ls -l /usr/lib | grep c++
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      2092602 Oct 22 11:09
> libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.a
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           30 Oct 22 11:09
> libstdc++-libc6.1-2.a.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.a
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      2092602 Oct 19 21:24
> libstdc++.a.2.10.0
>
> what is the problem?
>
> 2) i installed emacs on lfs but its only running inside the terminal and
> not in a seperate window in kde and it's not reading my .emacs when
> running in the terminal. when i run in the console everything is fine.
> why?
>
> 3) do we have gnu gettext, linuxthreads 0.71 and Thread aware Xlibs.
> installed in lfs. i want to install xmms. if anybody did it i would
> appereciate if they shared their experience with me.
>
> 4) what will happen if i do: # rm -R /usr/src. anything will stop
> working? i need to free some space.
>
> --

Guys,

        I wouldn't recommend running Netscape 6 at this point...I was all
siked to run it and Let's just say, It worked somewhat, but a lot of
features weren't functionable and what not. After I closed it though, it
pretty much locked up my system, deleted my /tmp directory messed up all of
my system/program locks and made me have to do annoying file system checks
and repairs...I'm not recommending it at this time. --As an addendum, I'm
not positive netscape was the cause of all these problems but it's my most
probable candidate. -->My 2 cents

later nerds
-Rob

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org