Long filenames on floppies

Rob Bercik bercikr at georgetown.edu
Wed Nov 15 14:06:13 PST 2000

Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 09:56:29AM -0800, Mike Hildebrandt wrote:
> > Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?  I have everything FAT-related
> > compiled into the kernel, and as I mentioned above, the filenames on my HD
> > are fine, and it's just the ones on the floppy that are getting truncated.
>
> mount the partition with the vfat filesystem.
>
> -
>
> --

I've just discover a great util for reading VFAT partitions, especially floppy
disks. Use Mtools. It's a small package to download and configuration is
minimal. It lists long file names and transfers files really well between VFAT
and ext2. The best part about it is that you don't need to mount your floppy
disk to read from it with mtools. I've had some problem reading VFAT especially
with unintentional overwrites and corruptions while mounting or unmounting
floppies.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org