gcc in chroot env

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 15 07:34:59 PST 2000

On November 15, 2000 06:49 am, you wrote:
> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > When you were done with gcc in chapter 5 you were supposed to delete the
> > gcc-2.95.2 and the gcc-build directories. See chapter 2 "Installing the
> > software" why.
>
> Hhhmmm... I never read that before. Are you sure you didn't
> just add that bit last night? ;-) And I've been wondering if
> I needed to keep all those dirs...

>From http://linuxfromscratch.org/view/intel-2.4.2/ch02-install.html

After you have installed a package you can do two things with it. You can
either delete the directory that contains the sources or you can keep it. If
you decide to keep it,
that's fine by me. But if you need the same package again in a later chapter
you need to delete the directory first before using it again. If you don't do
this, you might end up in
trouble because old settings will be used (settings that apply to your normal
Linux system but which don't always apply to your LFS system). Doing a simple
make clean does
not always guarantee a totally clean source tree. The configure script can
also have files lying around in various subdirectories which aren't always
removed by a make
clean process.

--
Gerard Beekmans