Some X questions

Steve Loft steve at nybbles.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 03:13:07 PST 2000

I've got X 4.0.1 installed and working.  But I have two things I'd like
to sort out, monitor blanking and 'DPI'.

1. I have the following lines in my XF86Config:

In the ServerFlags section:

        Option "BlankTime" "0"
        Option "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option "SuspendTime" "10"
        Option "OffTime" "0"

And in the Monitor section:

        Option "DPMS"

The combined effect of the above is intended to turn off my monitor
after 10 minutes, which is indeed what I remember it doing under my old
Mandrake system (I think I just copied the XF86Config file over to my
LFS system).

The X log shows:

      (**) TDFX(0): DPMS enabled

But xset q shows:

      DPMS (Energy Star):
            Standby: 0    Suspend: 600    Off: 0
            DPMS is Disabled

And I have to do "xset dpms" from a console.  This isn't a big problem
as I hardly ever reboot, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
Without DPMS enabled, my monitor blanks as expected, but then wakes up
again some time later.  With DPMS enabled it goes off and stays off.

2. The X log shows:

      (==) TDFX(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

As I have 100dpi fonts installed I'd like to run X at 100dpi.  How do I
do this?

Steve.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org