upgrading

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 15 03:05:08 PST 2000

> OK, so if I upgrade to X4.01 and a 2.4 kernel, what needs to be done before
> I compile? Is it just a case of removing /etc/X11R6 and the files in /etc
> for X, and renaming or removing the kernel image?

For X, that's all you should need  - delete /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11.
For the kernel, versions can co-exist happily, if you install the new kernel
under a different name (e.g vmlinuz-2.4test10), and change the appropriate
names under lilo.conf. If you want to remove the old version completely,
delete the old kernel file, and the old module directory in /lib/modules.

Remember to rerun lilo after making changes to the config file...

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org