glibc-2.2 configuration

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Tue Nov 14 12:46:41 PST 2000

There is an interesting configuration option that you can use with
glibc-2.2 :
--enable-kernel=X.Y.X
This means that you promise not to run kernels older than X.Y.X with
this glibc image
you are building. As a bonus you'll have smaller and more efficient
glibc ( w/ o fallbacks ).
And sure, you should provide the corresponding --with-headers,
and these headers will be checked at configure time.
The amazing thing is, it is checked ( I think, even used ) also at build
time.
So, if you run 2.2.X kernel but asked for --enable-kernel=2.4.0,
you'll receive <Kernel is too old> and  'll be aborted at min 97 ( out
of 107 build time, my case ).
It made me switch to 2.4.0-beta10 and everything went fine.
I can't remember anything like this with GNU tools in the past.

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org