To Sergey Ostrovsky

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Tue Nov 14 07:12:13 PST 2000

Duraid wrote:

> good news and bad news. the bad is that X4.0.1 didn't work for me after
> spending 2 days on it, and no body seem to make i work after posting
> more than 2 messages. good news i know that X3.3.6 works for  me ( im
> using it now). bad news is that i can't seem to compile it, i tried to
> be smart and read the documentation and do the configuration my self,
> didn't work out... make World didn't compile even on thing.. good news
> is we have somebody like you who even changes the source code to make
> the package compile..... i would make the X11Guide even more complete if
> there is a section on compiling X3.3.6, cause X4.0.1 doesn't work for
> everybody.
>
> Duraid
>
> --

Thanks for using my guide. And I am sorry about your problems with X11.
You know, in the very first day I posted it on the list, I've got lots of
feedback.
About my typos, omissions, etc. Indeed, typos were fixed and I think people
use this guide.
And nobody mentions my guide now. Which is good, I think - that means it is
generally useful.
I do not think people hate X11 and/or adventurous enough to start
installing X11
without trying first to use somebody else's experience.

>From one hand, you must be just unlucky.
>From another hand, you might be very lucky - so more problems you have, so
more you learn.
You know, after I mastered Fortran, I decided that knowledge of Assembler
for IBM/360 would make
me a real programmer ... I spent 2 month reading the thick book, felt
myself as a complete idiot, and
stopped for 10 month. Then, I gained access to the real machine, and
started over again.
And somehow getting along since then.
It was 23 years ago.

Sergey Ostrovsky.