BASH filecompletion

Robert Bercik bercikr at georgetown.edu
Tue Nov 14 06:05:35 PST 2000

Erika Pacholleck wrote:

> ( Mon, 13 Nov 2000 ) Robert Bercik <-- :
> > I've pretty much tried everything and I'm going near the brink of
> > insanity...For some reason I don't think file completion is getting compiled in
> > or it isn't looking in the proper place for completion words. When I type the
> > name of a environment variable, i.e. $PA<TAB>, it fills in $PATH, but when I
> > try and change directories or fill in a file in the current directory, nothing
> > happens. So completion is working, but not file-completion. How do I find out
> > where it is checking, or set where it is checking for words which can act as
> > filecompletion/command completion? I am real frustrated....
>
> 1. either it works for all or for nothing, so if it works for one thing
> -. than it works and therefore it is compiled in.
>
> 2. when you are in the current directory and you want to complete a filename
> -. do you precede that with ./ ?
> -. example: you are in /home/rob and there is a file called .inputrc
> -. example: do you write vi ./.in<TAB> ?
>
> Erika
>
> --

No not at all.  I would never have thought to have done that, but I just tried it
and it doesn't work...? Any idea as to where bash checks for commands. Just a little
sidenote..when I press tab with out typing anything I get a list of all of the
commands natively understood by bash( i.e. export, for, command, complete...) Still
real lost.

-Rob

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org