Gnome won't start Sawfish

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 14 02:22:51 PST 2000

On Tuesday 14 November 2000 20:54, you wrote:
> Well, I compiled everything using -O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro
> -march=pentiumpro, even qt.  Konsole crashes when I try to start it up.
> Maybe it's not a good idea to optimize buggy software ;-)

That's a bit worse than me then - everything works - it just crashes often. I
have the same optimisations as you, except with i686 instead of pentiumpro.

One thing I noticed - KDE2 does those little popup dialogs when a program
crashes, just like Windows. They should contain a stack trace or something
like that, but since I'm compiling without debug info, it doesn't display.

Might be worth it to recompile with lower optimisations and debugging info,
just to see what happens..

> For some strange reason, I never thought of using KDE software outside
> the KDE environment.  I've gotta start learning to "think outside the
> box".
>
> Anyone have any idea what I did to gnome?  Or, more importantly, how to
> fix it?

Can't help with that one, sorry. I've pretty much ignored Gnome, except to
the extent that all Redhat users are forced to have it. KDE and Gnome come
with some nice programs, but I don't like the interface. They're both little
more than clones of the Windows interface - I don't like it that much.

Just my opinion of course...

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org