Gnome won't start Sawfish

Michael Spratt michael at spratt.com
Mon Nov 13 23:54:25 PST 2000

Simon Geard wrote:

> On Monday 13 November 2000 20:32, you wrote:
> > On a conspiracy note, I had finished compiling and installing KDE 2.0,
> > but hadn't used it yet. (It took me a while to figure out I needed
> > startkde instead of kwm.)  So now I'm using KDE.  It's nice, but
> > programs seem to crash often. (That might be my fault.)
>
> Probably not your fault. This initial release of KDE2 seems to have a few
> stability problems. As you say, it's nice, but not too reliable yet.
>
> Personally, I'm using WindowMaker, with a number of kde programs running with
> it - kmail, kppp, konqueror. I'm not having any problems with them in this
> environment, so I'm guessing some fault in one of the kde core components is
> causing things to fail.
>
> Simon.
>
> --

Well, I compiled everything using -O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro
-march=pentiumpro, even qt.  Konsole crashes when I try to start it up.
Maybe it's not a good idea to optimize buggy software ;-)

For some strange reason, I never thought of using KDE software outside
the KDE environment.  I've gotta start learning to "think outside the
box".

Anyone have any idea what I did to gnome?  Or, more importantly, how to
fix it?

---
Michael Spratt

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org