BASH filecompletion

Robert Bercik bercikr at georgetown.edu
Mon Nov 13 08:46:32 PST 2000

Christiaan Van den Poel wrote:

> actually, it's very simple.
>
> In your /etc/profile (ore other file which is started by bash) you  must
> set the env. var. INPUTRC
> e.g.:
> INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
> export INPUTRC
>
> and in your /etc/inputrc you have enough with the following line:
> set show-all-if-ambigious (or something like this, I don't have my LFS
> ready now)
>
> restart bash (just do a new login) and voila.
>
> Hope it works for you...
>
> Robert Bercik wrote:
> >
> > Christiaan Van den Poel wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > On my staring distro (Mandrake 7.0) I can use TAB complete my command
> > > line just by hitting TAB once.  But on the LFS (2.4.2) I need to hit TAB
> > > twice (the first one gives me a bell) so after hitting it twice very
> > > fast I can complete my command line or see the list of different
> > > possibilities.
> > >
> > > Does anyknow know how to change this?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > I am having the same problem with file-completion and I tried copying the
> > inputrc file from my original distro but it still doesn't work. The only
> > difference I see between my regular distro's bash and the one on my LFS
> > system is that my original distro's bash is dyn. linked to libtermcap and
> > my LFS is dyn. linked to libncurses. Could this be the problem or is it
> > something else?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > --

I've pretty much tried everything and I'm going near the brink of
insanity...For some reason I don't think file completion is getting compiled in
or it isn't looking in the proper place for completion words. When I type the
name of a environment variable, i.e. $PA<TAB>, it fills in $PATH, but when I
try and change directories or fill in a file in the current directory, nothing
happens. So completion is working, but not file-completion. How do I find out
where it is checking, or set where it is checking for words which can act as
filecompletion/command completion? I am real frustrated....

Thanks,

Rob

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org