compile error in isapnp-tools

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Mon Nov 13 02:11:34 PST 2000

Donnie Roos wrote:

> At 12:32 AM 11/13/00 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >Nope... contrary to my earlier report, it does not work ;-(
> >It compiles ok, but running pnpdump results in a 'segmenation fault'
> >(is that a bad thing ?)
> >Anyone more ideas? TIA, Lukas.
>
> The supplied solution seems correct to me however you also said
> >I had to add FILE* before o_file = stdout in the main section
>
> What do you mean by this? did you write
>
> static FILE* o_file;
> int main (int argc, char** argv)
> {
> FILE* o_file = stdout;
> }
>
> If this is true you created a new variable (probably never used)
> while the global o_file variable has an undefined value. That
> would also explain the segmentation fault.
>
> There are probably more variables in the 'main' function
> skip all of these and then place the assigment "o_file = stdout;"
>
> Hmmm, you probably don't know what variables are (in C that is)
> The first lines after 'main' are variables. The first assigment
> probably follows after the first whiteline.
>
> So it should look something like this
>
> int main (int argc, char** argv)
> {
> char foo;
> int bar;
> FILE* stuff;
>
> function_call(foo, bar); <- first statement. place the
> ...                         o_file=stdout; above this.
> }
>
> If you can't follow this you can send me the text in the 'main'
> function and I will mail the correction to you.
> (too lazy too find & download the PnP-tools)
>
> Donnie Roos (who would really enjoy it if people would cut some more text
> from their replies)

I guess you would enjoy it even more if people value your time.
Right on the first page of isapnptools home site
( http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools )
you ( and anyone ) can see that the current version is 1.23.
And it has some known problems ( including this ), which one can fix
with patch-1.23a.
That's not about C or whatever...

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org