lilo error

Willem Oldeman willem.oldeman at home.nl
Sat Nov 11 13:32:31 PST 2000

>From your errors I understand that you're trying to write the bootloader on
a faraway sector on your harddrive. Are you trying to write the bootloader
to hdb1 maybe?
It's quite common to write the loader on the bootsector of your first
harddrive. You'll need a line at the top of lilo.conf saying
boot = /dev/hda
you'll have to figure out which other OS's you need to load. (->with the
image and label options. see the lilo.conf man page)
Another solution is to put the bootloader on a floppy. You'll need the
floppy to boot into LFS then. Change the line in lilo.conf to:
boot = /dev/fd0
this will tell lilo to write the bootloader to a floppydisk.