Logging in as root

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sat Nov 11 04:35:40 PST 2000

Yo,

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 01:09:58PM +0000, C.D.McDiarmid wrote:
> Right, I will try.

cool..

> When I start, say in runlevel 3 or I drop out of KDE by Ctr Alt F1 is a root
> login NOT the user login, which is what I have at present.   To get to root at
> present I have to login as the user and then su root, to get to root, if that
> makes sense.   I need to be presented  with a login from which I can type
> 'root' and then the password, in other words a root login by 'default.'. I've
> got this on my old Mandrake distro, but have never had it on LFS.

Hrm...... i still don't think i understand what your asking, so here
goes nothing. (PS, i'm going totally dumb here, sorry if i offend you,
but i'm just trying to figure out what your asking)

On the linux console, aka tty[1..6] if you did everything to the book
when you first bootup you are presented with a login prompt, from here
you can login as any _valid_ user with the right password, and from what
i can tell this works just fine for you.

(prints out whatever is in /etc/issue)

(your hostname) login: <enter your username>
Password:

(prints out /etc/motd)
(print mail status)
(your shell)

That's usually what a console login looks like

Now, from what i can tell, you have no problem login in as root or you
local user, like you should...

Unless you changed your configuration from LFS, you can log on as root
or anyone else from the console, X is another story.

So........... why did i just typoe that out, oh well.

Are you saying like.. in X, and you open up a terminal (or
console, bad term) like xterm or kconsole that you aren't able to login,
correct? that's _normal_

hrm.. *shrugs* here goes nothing ;)

PS, go into as much detail as you want, say on the linux console, in X,
in KDE, etcetc you aren't really giving us enough information to give
you a real answer (or at least, one that makes sense to me ;)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org