lilo error

John E. Garrott Sr johnga at primenet.com
Sat Nov 11 01:13:58 PST 2000

Rudolf Floers wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 11:21:16AM -0600, ej wrote:
> > When I run lilo, I get the following:
> >
> > bash-2.04# /sbin/lilo
> > Warning: device 0x0345 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.
> >    Use of the 'lba32' option may help on newer (EDD BIOS)
> > systems.
> > Fatal: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1262 >
> > 1023)
> >
> > I'm not sure, but I'm afraid that this means that I won't be
> > able to boot into LFS because the partition to too high on
> > the drive. My partition table looks like this:
> >
> > Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1868 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hdb1             1        13    104391   83  Linux
> > /dev/hdb2            14        30    136552+  82  Linux swap
> > /dev/hdb3            31      1178   9221310   83  Linux
> > /dev/hdb4          1179      1433   2048287+   5  Extended
> > /dev/hdb5          1179      1433   2048256   83  Linux
> >

> > /dev/hdb1 is where the /boot directory for my Suse install
> > lives. /dev/hdb5 is where my LFS install is. I'm thinking
> > that I might be able to use /dev/hdb1 for the /boot
> > partition for the LFS system, too, but there are some
> > duplicate file names.
> >
> > bartleby:~ # ls /boot
> > .                  bg          chos.loader        lost+found
> > ..                 boot.b      chos.loader-bsect  os2_d.b
> > System.map-2.2.14  chain.b     chos.loader-linux  vmlinuz
> > XF86Config         chos.bsect  commands.conf
> > vmlinuz-2.0.34
> >
> > bartleby:~ # ls /mnt/lfs/boot
> > .   System.map   boot-text.b  chain.b    os2_d.b
> > vmlinuz-2.0.34
> > ..  boot-menu.b  boot.b       lfskernel  vmlinuz
> >

> > What's the best way to get out of this mess?
> >
> > ej
> >
> > --
>
> in the lilo manpage it says:
>
> lba32 is recommended on _all post-1998_ systems.
>
> simply put lba32 in the header of lilo.conf, run lilo and try again.
> if it fails, because your BIOS is too old, the you might try GRUB,
> but i doubt GRUB can fix this. (can it?)
>
> rf
>
> --

I have a similar problem.  Setup is like this:

hda1 (1.85 G) = primary Win95
hda2 (.1 G) = Linux swap
hdb1 (2 G) = Slackware /
hdb2 (4.4 G) = /home
hdb3 (2 G) = LFS /
hdc (2 G) = secondary Win95

Note: I call my kernels nadrek and worsel respectively.
Both are on /dev/hdb1, nadrek in / and worsel in /boot.
Worsel was compiled under LFS.  There is no kernel on
/dev/hdb3, just the sources in /usr/src/linux.

Both Linux root partions use kernel 2.2.16, compiled from
an identical .config file.

Here is my lilo.config file from /dev/hdb1:

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
delay = 300
timeout=300
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
ramdisk = 0  #192     # paranoia setting
message=/boot/message
prompt
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /nadrek
  root = /dev/hdb1
  label = nadrek
  append="hdd=ide-scsi"
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for
checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/worsel
  root = /dev/hdb3
  label = worsel
  append="hdd=ide-scsi"
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for
checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda1