[Re: Red Hat 7.0]

Corey Cox sleepnir at usa.net
Fri Nov 10 07:44:29 PST 2000

Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 needs (at least):

glibc-devel-static
glibc-localedata
glibc
libstdc++
ncurses linked to libcurses
flex

These may not all be necessary but adding them allowed me to compile
everything without problems (no errors but my own typo's, but I haven't gotten
lilo to boot the machine yet - damn lack of time!)  I can also find out the
exact package names if you think that would be better.

Corey Cox.

> I'm also slightly concerned because the fileutils problem (ls didn't
> work properly) slipped right past me after initial compile time... It
> exited with a 0 and installed the utils...this concerns me because it
> leaves some doubt that everything compiled quite right on the Red Hat
> 7.0 system...Obviously, there are too many programs in the static build
> to test out all of the functionality manually, so it's kind of difficult
> to say what may or may not be broken.  Even if I took the time to test,
> it would be difficult to determine what obscurr bugs were compile
> related and what bugs originated in the package itself.

Agreed, but consider that you don't need to use the static 'ls' program for
very long. It'll be recompiled in chroot at some point using a proven working

Glibc version. The only thing that might give problems is the static gcc
version. But it might work good enough to compile the few packages in chroot
with. Perhaps the very first package you want to reinstall is gcc and wait
with ed, patch, findutils, mawk, ncurses and vim until gcc is done.

The reason why those are done first is to get patch and a text editor
installed as soon as possible.

I'm still unsure whether to reinstall gcc or install patch first. What if you

have a patch to apply to GCC inside chroot before compiling it? Then again,
if your would need to do so, you can do that in a terminal outside chroot. I
have given this some thought over the past weeks and I plan on moving gcc to
be the first package to be installed.

By the way, didn't somebody post a message about some kgcc package that comes

with RedHat7 (which is a proven working egcs version)? I have also been
thinking about adding a section called "preparing your distribution to
install LFS". It's too much work for me to dig through all the mailinglists
to collect that information on what needs to be done on specific
distributions to get LFS working.

From now on I will keep a record of such information posted to the lists and
add them to the book. What I'm starting with is how to get RH7 ready to
install LFS with. So far we need to install kgcc, apply the fileutils and gcc

patches. Anything else (the date program from sh-utils giving problems?)

--

Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org