Red Hat 7.0

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Nov 10 01:38:16 PST 2000

On Friday 10 November 2000 14:25, you wrote:

> RH7 _cannot_ be used for a development system, imho
>
> If a distrobution cannot even compile the latest stable kernel, latest
> stable gcc, etc...
>
> I never really liked RH, but i respect it's position in the Distrobution
> market, but this just pushes me to not even recommend it for anything or
> to anyone.

Just my thoughts - in more recent releases, Redhat seem to be trying to turn
their distrib into a "do everything" system. I started using Linux with 5.0,
and I found all of the 5.x releases to be valuable. 6.0 was still good, but
they were starting to cram too much in. I tried 6.2 - and gave up almost
immediately and went back to 6.0, and now LFS. From what I've heard of 7.0,
it's even worse.

Better in my opinion to release a distribution designed for a specific job,
or at least a minimal one that can easily be built on. Obviously, the latter
is the path we're all taking with LFS.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org