Red Hat 7.0

Brett generica at email.com
Thu Nov 9 23:49:59 PST 2000

Hey,

On a non lfs issue here,

This has been discussed to death on the lk-ml.
The point is that gcc has to move forward, and doing so will break the
kernel, as the kernel uses a LOT of gcc hacks, which are limited to
certain versions.  This is the kernels fault, not gcc's.  You can't really
expect gcc to say "well, it works, lets stop development" ... its just
that the kernel can't be expected to keep up with gcc developments until
they are stable.

The point is that the gcc in RH7 _can_ (for the most part) be used as a
normal gcc compiler, just not for the kernel.  Which is why kgcc was
included.  I say for the most part, because there are several (sorta
severe) bugs in the shipped gcc.  _This_ part of it is redhats fault,
which they freely admit.

Just clearing up the fact that rh7 can compile things properly.  If gcc
gives you problems, use kgcc... no biggie.

	/ Brett

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org