Red Hat 7.0

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Thu Nov 9 23:20:04 PST 2000

Yo,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 06:49:59PM +1100, Brett wrote:
> This has been discussed to death on the lk-ml.
> The point is that gcc has to move forward, and doing so will break the
> kernel, as the kernel uses a LOT of gcc hacks, which are limited to
> certain versions.  This is the kernels fault, not gcc's.  You can't really
> expect gcc to say "well, it works, lets stop development" ... its just
> that the kernel can't be expected to keep up with gcc developments until
> they are stable.

I totally agree with you that gcc has to move foward, but this really
isn't about gcc. (sorry if i made it seems that way)

But this isn't the way to go about it, hell from what i've heard/seen
the GCC developers are more pissed off at RH because of this (now, how
is that "helping" gcc go forward)

> The point is that the gcc in RH7 _can_ (for the most part) be used as a
> normal gcc compiler, just not for the kernel.  Which is why kgcc was
> included.  I say for the most part, because there are several (sorta
> severe) bugs in the shipped gcc.  _This_ part of it is redhats fault,
> which they freely admit.

I know all the reasons why RH is using this version of gcc/glibc, i can understand why
but i sure as hell don't agree.

RH is considered the "leading" distrobution (in the commercial world
anyways) and they set a record for everyone else, if this is what the
future holds, dear god, i'm almost temped to pack it up and just use
*BSD (well then again, there's LFS, but that isn't the point)

New users have enough trouble coming to Linux as it is, in my opinion RH
is no long making it easier for the user, in fact, there making it
worse.

This is just my opinion thou, take it as a grain of salt.

PS, i'm not anti-RH, and i don't mind it that much (i have LFS or
Slackware, Debian to go to, etc) but it's more about using and abusing.

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org