Netscape and Xfree86

Barry Barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Wed Nov 8 14:07:30 PST 2000

Pierre Cyr wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> > > Is this a bug from netscape, X11, one of the numerous graphics libraries
> > > or just something not configured right?
> >
> > Possibly yes. It can also be faulty video card hardware
>
> I find it hard to believe that I would have the same hardware fault in both
> computers with different graphics cards.

it could have to do with the library you're loading...

just making a symlink to glibc 2.1.3 might allow the binary to run, but
many changes have occured since libc5 and glibc 2.1.3 and not everything
will necessarily function the same way (because the functions change
slightly from lib to lib)...this is similar to the DLL hell problem in
windows...only a lot less complicated :)

I fixed the problem in my old LFS 2.2 system by downloading the lidc5
(5.4.46 I think) from metalab.unc.edu

it should be there somewhere...

the libraries in binary are what I downloaded.  I forget exactly how I
got it to run, though...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org