static perl?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 7 21:10:04 PST 2000

> Of course, this requires that perl be installed during the static part (or
> soon thereafter).  I've attempted a couple approaches in the last few
> hours, but thought I'd plug the list (thanks Reaperx1) before pursuing one
> of them further.

Give me a second. In the old old old LFS days we compile Perl statically. Let
me dig up an old HOWTO...

Ok here is the manual way. Perhaps you can specify these things via options
to Configure, that I don't know, you can figure that one out yourself ;o)

Run ./Configure
You can stick with all the default answers, except the following:

When asked:
	What is the file extension used for shared libraries? [so]
Answer with:
	none

When asked:
	Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)? [-L/usr/local/lib]
Answer with:
	-L/usr/local/lib -static

When asked:
	Do you wish to use dynamic loading? [y]
Answer with:

compile by running 'make'

copy the perl binary to $LFS/usr/bin

Or run configure with the proper prefix and 'make install' it. Whichever you
want. This procedure should result in a statically linked, fully operational
perl. Have fun

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org