Gnome problems

Mike Hildebrandt mikehild at insight.org
Mon Nov 6 15:36:25 PST 2000

Okay, this weekend I installing gnome on a fresh-out-of-the-box LFS 2.4.2
installation, and I didn't appear to have any problems with the icons.

As for the gmc's and panel's in the tasklist, the solution I found is to
replace "sawfish & exec gnome-session" in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file
with just "exec gnome-session" (no quotes).  Funny thing is I had tried that
before.  I guess something was messed up on the installation I originally
tried Gnome on, because it works fine now...

Also, since various people have commented that gnome-libs didn't seem to
like db 3.1.17 (the undefined reference to `__db185_open'), the same thing
happened to me with 3.1.14 as well this time (further proof that all was not
well with my system, I guess).  The solution to this one, as pointed out to
me by someone else, is to add the flag --enable-prefer-db1 to the configure
for gnome-libs.

I think I'll update gnome-install.txt with this and a couple other things I
noticed and resend it tomorrow...