[blfs-dev] about pax

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Thu Mar 13 10:16:20 PDT 2014

Hi,

I have found 2 sources for pax:
- the mirbsd package, debianised by Debian (the "orig" I put in the
ticket). It does not build as is, because the debian "rules" (a makefile
actually) are shipped separately, and those rules use heavily the debian
packaging system. So we would first have to make a package and put it on
anduin. Also, According to some internet sources, the mirbsd pax program
does not provide the pax format (?), and so, does not pass the lsb tests.
- the heirloom package. You have to download the full heirloom
"toolchest" (not a big deal, it is just 1MB), then edit a config file (I
think a couple of sed's is enough), then issue various make commands (if
you do not want to build the whole toolchest). It seems more doable, but
I may miss some pros and cons, so I ask on this list whether there are
issues with the heirloom package (it does not seem to be much used by
distros)

Regards
Pierre