[blfs-dev] Package stats

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 6 10:22:52 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 02:36:02PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 06-03-2014 13:36, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
> > 
> >    So build size is measured as df_after - df_before.  The issue to note 
> > is that there is activity during the build that adds or deletes space on 
> > /tmp, the size will be off.  I have /tmp on its own partition.
> > 
 To me, that seems excessively complicated.  But each to his own.
> Thanks, Bruce.
> I find "du" more accurate, although more tome consuming, so have to to
> mark some instants to avoid it from interfering in the timings.
> On example is that df wil include the log size, perhaps you think it is
> relevant.

 When I measure for the book, I don't usually make logs!  If I am
making logs, I usually put them in ../ and use du for the directory
and for the DESTDIR or equivalent directory.
> But all numbers we give are approximate, large error bar, so I do not
> dispute methods or numbers.

 Agree, I see large variations - even in remeasuring the SBU.
> The problem there is that Ken found values very different, even one
> negative: building the API docs takes less than installing the ones in
> the tarball, is one example, and I can hardly believe this is possible:
> build taking less time than just installing the documents.

 Did I write that ?  I intended to say that rebuilding the API docs
took a lot of extra time, but that the space used was 1MB less - I
guess that the recreated docs are trimmed down.

> As I introduced many of these numbers, probably after what Ken used to
> do with ImageMagick, what I think is that being non-english speaking
> native, I am giving wrong names to what I measure. That was the reason I
> detailed how and what I measure there. It seems I need to rename in the
> book, some number I gave.
> What I mean is: everybody know 1 inch is different from 1 cm. But I can
> use a ruler, make a measurement and tell Ken it is 1, using a cm ruler,
> but he thinking I am using inches.
> He is not wrong
> I am not wrong
> We are giving numbers for different things, probably my fault of not
> writing carefully what my number means.
 It is clear that my rebuild of the docs was very different from
Fernando's.  At the moment I'm concentrating on rebuilding
everything in chroot, just in case there is any breakage from
accidental change in gnutls.  My first attempt at LO just timed out
on one of the downloads, so I guess I'm hours away from completing.
After that, I'll take another look.

 Unfortunately, this system with gnome packages is my only 7.5
system with gtk-doc and p11-kit, so I can't do comparative tests on
the other box.

 What I did notice was a *lot* of activity during the rebuilding of
the docs (not logged, so I watched stdout scroll past, with
references to html at one point.

 Guess I'd better create logs when I come back to this, so that I
can summarise the difference in the builds.

das eine Mal als Tragödie, dieses Mal als Farce

More information about the blfs-dev mailing list