[blfs-dev] Upcoming BLFS-7.5 release

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:43:17 PST 2014

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 02-03-2014 21:42, Ken Moffat escreveu:
>> On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 05:16:44PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> We just released LFS-7.5 and we need to look at releasing BLFS-7.5 in
>>> the next few days.  AFAIK, all the 7.5 tickets are complete and all the
>>> packages tagged for 7.5.   It is just a matter of doing the release, but
>>> I'm sure that there are some tweaks that are necessary.
>>>
>>> For planning purposes, I think we can target Wednesday. March 5.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>   The --libexecdir switches still look a bit iffy to me.
>>
>> 1. The following use --libexecdir with what I think are adequate
>> explanations of why: vte2, acl, dhcpcd.  Anyone who disagrees :
>> please speak up!
>>
>> 2. The following explain an optional --libexecdir switch: gnupg2,
>> emacs, librep, geoclue.  I don't have a problem with leaving this
>> sort of thing in for a transitional period while people may still be
>> using older versions of LFS (does 3 years sound about right?), BUT
>>
>> (i.) the markup is '<parameter>', I think it hould be '<option>' ?

 From a logical standpoint I think both fit.  They are options to the
./configure command, but are also parameters in that they are a "set
that defines a system or sets the conditions of its operation".

However I do think our use should be consistent.  In the html, option is
inside of <code> constructs.  We define that in the css to be monospace.
  For the parameter, we the text is inside <em><code> tags that render
as monospace slanted on my system.  We do not define em outside of a
note, warning, etc.

Which we choose probably doesn't make much difference.  I would select
option just because it is less keystrokes.

In any case, I don't think it's enough of an issue to hold up release of
BLFS-7.5.

>> (ii.) should we also do this for all other existing BLFS packages
>> which now use /usr/libexec ?
>>
>> 3. Subversion used to run a subshell to interrogate apxs.  The
>> current page looks unusual, but I haven't any desire to build it for
>> 7.5 (I only rebuilt my server in September), so I have to assume it
>> is ok ?
>
> More or less. I am comparing the two versions in BLFS svn and 7.4 (It is
> very good to having releases, so to easily comparing instructions
> versions. In "Command Explanations", of svn (7.5-rc1) I think we should
> write the complete switch, or it is almost useless:
>
> s|=...|=$(/usr/bin/apxs -q libexecdir)|
>
> In configure, I don't know how to handle the switch alone
> "--with-apache-libexecdir"

I'm confused.  Where is that sed?

I do note that in the subversion explanations section is the wording:

   "This switch allows to have those modules installed ..."

which probably should be changed to

   "This switch installs those modules ..."

>> 4. The following are still doing things the old way:
>> menu-cache, qemu, openbox, mc, pulseaudio.  Is there any reason why
>> these should NOT drop --libexecdir ?

> menu-cache and openbox are my faults. I can fix them.

I fixed qemu.  I can validate mc works properly without the libexecdir
line.  My script for pulseaudio still has it, but a rebuild without to a
DESTDIR appears to do the right thing.