[blfs-dev] Policy on locale for building ? (ticket #4745)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 1 16:29:17 PST 2014

On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 11:54:17PM +0000, akhiezer wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 21:56:30 +0000
> > From: Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com>
> > To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
> > Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] Policy on locale for building ? (ticket #4745)
> >
> 	.
> 	.
> >

> > > Root (at least) here is always still non-utf8  .
> > >

> >  The book (at least in most cases) builds as a normal user.  You and
> > I can choose to build as root if we wish, but we get to keep both
> > pieces if it breaks. ;-)
> >

>  - sorry, I thought from yr orig remark (not quot above) that you meant,
>  that everyone should by now have/use utf8 in everyday use (& not just for
>  b/lfs builds): hence my remark (intending to say) that we avoid utf8 &c
>  for root/priv in everyday use.
>
> (And normally only use root in software builds at the required steps).

 I did mean that :)  Unfortunately, not everyone seems to want to be
able to render every language [ and, in a tty, you are limited to at
most 512 glyphs so in practice you can only hope to render all
languages in a graphical term ].

 My apologies.  I still have the fanaticism of the convert.  Goes
back to when I wanted to put correct placenames on my holiday
photos.  I guess the ruby devs now assume that everyone using a
current version of ruby is using unicode, and on linux the only
common Unicode Translation Format is UTF-8.

ĸen