[blfs-dev] Possible BLFS systemd solution

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:54:00 PDT 2014

Armin K. wrote:
> On 06/30/2014 03:19 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I never understood is why do we maintain all the version
>>> numbers entities in the general.ent file? for the majority of updates,
>>> the only thing that is updated is the version number and the md5sum
>>> which means both files (general.ent and the package.xml) need to be
>>> updated. If the version number entity where kept on the actual package
>>> page, this would save the hassle of updating two files every time, and
>>> it will also alleviate this syncing requirement.
>>
>> The reason, I suppose, is inertia.  When we started BLFS, we copied the
>> structure used in LFS.  Later LFS migrated away from general.ent to
>> packages.ent.  The package info is used in several places in LFS, but
>> not in BLFS.
>>
>> If we do end up with multiple files for systemd, for example polkit, we
>> probably need to keep the versions/meta data different.  That is, the
>> sysv and sysd versions could be different.  For instance, if a package
>> is updated in sysv, then the maintainer for sysd would need to check it
>> before merging changes.
>>

> Not really. At least 60 percent of the packages only install different
> init scripts. And if the new package builds and works on non-systemd
> system it should be safe to assume that it will work on systemd system
> too since the latter seems to be getting more attention from distros
> nowadays.

I'm mostly concerned with the packages that have different dependencies
or install instructions.  I suppose we could also modify the xsl scripts
to not include a section marked for systemd when building the mainline
book and vice versa, but that would only be for sections that we think
are going to be pretty static.