[blfs-dev] Is Java AWT peer needed for GCC java?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:42:58 PDT 2014

Pierre Labastie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is something I need to ask about GCC-Java: In order to have a more
> conform JVM, one needs an AWT (abstract window toolkit) peer, which provides
> an interface between the AWT and a real window system. As far as I understand,
> the only functional AWT peers available under GCC are gtk and qt. I tried
> xlib, but it seems that the jawt library is not built.
>
> gtk requires a lot of dependencies by itself, and also libart, which is not
> anymore in the book. I have not tried qt yet, and am not even sure it works.
> It has a big set of dependencies too.
>
> Before going further, I want to read your thoughts about several solutions:
> 1) include the gtk peer (as recommended), and put libart_lgpl back in the book.
> 2) try the qt peer and include instructions for it if it works.
> 3) not give any instructions for the awt peer, ans only mention it in the
> command explanations.
>
> Note that as far as I understand, swing (a superset of AWT) is not yet
> implemented in GCC. Actually, development for Java GCC is currently almost
> stopped (a couple of patches in the last year).

IIRC, I've never built GCC-Java.  It seems a little exotic to me.  Do we
know anyone that actually uses it?   Having it in the book just because
it's bundled with gcc seems a bit of overkill.

I'd probably just describe the issues and let it go at that.  Why do the
maintenance on it at every gcc release?  We can pretty much say the same
thing for Ada.   The last time I used Ada was around 1990 and that was
only for familiarity.

If there is a use case, then I can easily change my opinion, but right
now the only justification seems to be completeness when building gcc.