[blfs-dev] Possible BLFS systemd solution

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:30:38 PDT 2014

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 30-06-2014 10:19, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
>> Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I never understood is why do we maintain all the version
>>> numbers entities in the general.ent file? for the majority of updates,
>>> the only thing that is updated is the version number and the md5sum
>>> which means both files (general.ent and the package.xml) need to be
>>> updated. If the version number entity where kept on the actual package
>>> page, this would save the hassle of updating two files every time, and
>>> it will also alleviate this syncing requirement.
>>
>> The reason, I suppose, is inertia.  When we started BLFS, we copied the
>> structure used in LFS.  Later LFS migrated away from general.ent to
>> packages.ent.  The package info is used in several places in LFS, but
>> not in BLFS.
>>
>> If we do end up with multiple files for systemd, for example polkit, we
>> probably need to keep the versions/meta data different.  That is, the
>> sysv and sysd versions could be different.  For instance, if a package
>> is updated in sysv, then the maintainer for sysd would need to check it
>> before merging changes.
>

> I thought we needed general.ent so that dependencies just refers to it.

The dependencies refer to the id for a package.  For example openssl has

<sect1 id="openssl" xreflabel="OpenSSL-&openssl-version;">

And another section may have:

  <xref linkend="openssl"/>

The openssl-version entity is from general.ent, but does not have to be.
  It could just as easily be in openssl.xml.

The first 104 lines of general.ent does need to remain though.

If we move versions to the packages, there may be some other issues but
I can't think of any right now.