[blfs-dev] Possible BLFS systemd solution

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Mon Jun 30 12:30:00 PDT 2014

On 06/30/2014 03:19 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
>
>> One thing I never understood is why do we maintain all the version
>> numbers entities in the general.ent file? for the majority of updates,
>> the only thing that is updated is the version number and the md5sum
>> which means both files (general.ent and the package.xml) need to be
>> updated. If the version number entity where kept on the actual package
>> page, this would save the hassle of updating two files every time, and
>> it will also alleviate this syncing requirement.
>
> The reason, I suppose, is inertia.  When we started BLFS, we copied the
> structure used in LFS.  Later LFS migrated away from general.ent to
> packages.ent.  The package info is used in several places in LFS, but
> not in BLFS.
>
> If we do end up with multiple files for systemd, for example polkit, we
> probably need to keep the versions/meta data different.  That is, the
> sysv and sysd versions could be different.  For instance, if a package
> is updated in sysv, then the maintainer for sysd would need to check it
> before merging changes.

Not really. At least 60 percent of the packages only install different
init scripts. And if the new package builds and works on non-systemd
system it should be safe to assume that it will work on systemd system
too since the latter seems to be getting more attention from distros
nowadays.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.