[blfs-dev] Possible BLFS systemd solution

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 06:19:07 PDT 2014

Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> One thing I never understood is why do we maintain all the version
> numbers entities in the general.ent file? for the majority of updates,
> the only thing that is updated is the version number and the md5sum
> which means both files (general.ent and the package.xml) need to be
> updated. If the version number entity where kept on the actual package
> page, this would save the hassle of updating two files every time, and
> it will also alleviate this syncing requirement.

The reason, I suppose, is inertia.  When we started BLFS, we copied the
structure used in LFS.  Later LFS migrated away from general.ent to
packages.ent.  The package info is used in several places in LFS, but
not in BLFS.

If we do end up with multiple files for systemd, for example polkit, we
probably need to keep the versions/meta data different.  That is, the
sysv and sysd versions could be different.  For instance, if a package
is updated in sysv, then the maintainer for sysd would need to check it
before merging changes.