[blfs-dev] Finding libraries which are dlopen()ed

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 29 18:32:27 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 01:59:39AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  From that, I guess that anything using libdl.so.2 will need further
> investigation.  For my current problem-space (Saturday's
> install-tl-unx) that identifies biber, dvisvgm, luajitex, luatex,
> xdvi-xaw, xindy.run.  I guess I can use 'strings' on those.
>
>  Meanwhile, asy appears not to need ghostscript.

 So, after using 'strings progname | grep lib' and comparing the
results to the libraries already shown for that program, plus
ignoring a few 'lib' references which seem to be just text, I found
the following:

biber:	libperl / perl things in various incarnations
	libref which is part of docbook-dsssl-1.79
	libhandle which is not part of my system but might be part
	of the binary (i.e. static)

dvisgm:	libgs - so, this uses ghostscript

luajittex: libpdffinish which also is not part of my install, but
	again might be part of the binary
	libpng (for the book, Xorg implies this)
	(I _think_ those are the only relevant references)

luatex:	libpdffinish and libpng (q.v.), again I _think_ those
	are the only relevant references

xdvi-xaw: I cannot see any libs beyond what is explicitly linked

xindy.run: libopen which is also not part of my install but might
	again be part of the binary
	libsigsegv which is definitely a reference ot a static lib

 Now, how I manage to document this so that I, or whoever does the
update next time, can use this information is a different matter ;-)

Mighty Zarquon!  I _hate_ TeX!  But slowly, we seem to be getting
there (I've got a couple more ideas for building xindy, based on
what gentoo do, but I won't try them until I sort out the rest of
the 2014 version).  If we do get there, I suppose that someone will
then suggest splitting TeX into its compnent parts (like fedora and
gentoo do).

ĸen