[blfs-dev] Finding libraries which are dlopen()ed

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 29 16:32:41 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 07:40:40PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 03:12:25PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> >
> > scanelf, from pax-utils:
> >

> > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/pax-utils-0.8.1.tar.xz
> >
> > scanelf -BF "%f: %n"
> >
> > I build with:
> >
> > sed -i "/^PKGDOCDIR/ s/pax-utils/&-0.8.1/" Makefile &&
> > make USE_CAP=yes
> > make USE_PYTHON='yes' install
> >
>  Thanks!

 Well, that was certainly what I was thinking about.  But I'm not
sure if it answers my problem (finding libraries which are
dlopen()'d when needed, instead of automatically loaded).  But
perhaps I am either misunderstanding what ldd is telling me, or else
I have not looked at anything which does dlopen() libraries when
needed.

 Scanelf seems to drop those libraries which are pulled in by the
libraries which a program uses, and that seems reason enough to use
it (for an editor).

 Quick question: anyone know of any programs, or libraries, which
dlopen a library (ignoring PAM, which my searches found - I do not
build that) ?

 What has prompted me to ask about this is TeX : it's always a pain!
When I last looked at it, something caused me to note that asy
(asymptote) needed ghostscript, and I marked that down as
dynamically opened.  But there is no mention of this in my notes.  I
suspect I got an error while trying to run asy on a system which did
not include ghostscript (for a short time I dropped ghostscript
because it was no longer needed for printing, but I reinstated it
because some other things in my desktop can use it).

 But now, I cannot find references to ghostscript in either the
latest tl installer, or in the 2013 from-source version of TeX Live.

ĸen