[blfs-dev] blfs-book post from krejzi at higgs.linuxfromscratch.org requires approval

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Mon Jun 23 04:15:10 PDT 2014

On 06/23/2014 10:19 AM, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How are the terms Frameworks and Workspaces defined?  I understand apps and
>> libs, but what are they trying to differentiate?
>
> Frameworks are the base libraries, i.e. corresponding to kdelibs
> package in KDE4 + most of kde-runtime.
> They split them up to reduce dependencies, and thus facilitate usage
> outside of "KDE apps".
>
> Workspaces is the desktop, i.e. the window manager, desktop shell,
> panel, basic system apps etc.
>
> As Armin noted, they will not be released synchronously any more.
> When KDE 5.0 will be released in July, all applications will not yet
> have been ported. I think at least dolphin,
> konsole and kate/kwrite will be ready, but kmail and others will take
> longer. So, I think that maybe we should
> keep KDE4 in blfs for a while after KDE 5.0 is released.
>
> Btw. Nice work, Armin. Have you managed to get the 4.97.0 shell up and
> running? It crashes on login for me.
>
> Sincereley,
> Ragnar

Yes I did. I use lightdm, a display manager with kde greeter. I too was
getting a crash in plasma workspace frst time, but then I created a
wrapper for startkde script like this:

# Begin
#!/bin/bash -e

. /home/armin/.kf5env

exec /opt/kf5/bin/startkde "$@"
# End

Where .kf5env is more or less the same file as BLFS's
/etc/profile.d/kf5.sh, but I don't use BLFS's bash startup files so that
file is invalid for me. Below are the contents of it:

# Begin
export KF5_PREFIX=/opt/kf5
export KF5_SYSCONFDIR=$KF5_PREFIX/etc

export PATH=$KF5_PREFIX/bin:$PATH

export CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=$KF5_PREFIX:$CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KF5_PREFIX/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$KF5_PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export PYTHONPATH=$KF5_PREFIX/lib/python2.7:/usr/lib/python2.7

export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$KF5_PREFIX/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KF5_PREFIX/share:/usr/share

export
QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$KF5_PREFIX/lib/qt5/plugins:/usr/lib/qt5/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
export
QML_IMPORT_PATH=$KF5_PREFIX/lib/qt5/qml:/usr/lib/qt5/qml:$QML_IMPORT_PATH
export QML2_IMPORT_PATH=$QML_IMPORT_PATH
# End

This is my xsession file for lightdm, placed in /usr/share/xsessions:

# Begin
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/start-plasma2
TryExec=/usr/bin/start-plasma2
DesktopNames=KDE
Name=KDE Plasma Workspace (KF5)
Comment=The desktop made by KDE
# End

start-plasma2 is the script from above. I have no reason not to believe
the same script should work with startx/xinit. Do note that my Qt5 is
installed in /usr along with Qt4 and I switch between them using
qtchooser. It is also built with desktop opengl (without -opengl es2
switch) and running fine on intel sandybridge (hd3000) graphics card.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.