[blfs-dev] blfs-book post from krejzi at higgs.linuxfromscratch.org requires approval

Ragnar Thomsen rthomsen6 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 01:19:03 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> How are the terms Frameworks and Workspaces defined?  I understand apps and
> libs, but what are they trying to differentiate?

Frameworks are the base libraries, i.e. corresponding to kdelibs
package in KDE4 + most of kde-runtime.
They split them up to reduce dependencies, and thus facilitate usage
outside of "KDE apps".

Workspaces is the desktop, i.e. the window manager, desktop shell,
panel, basic system apps etc.

As Armin noted, they will not be released synchronously any more.
When KDE 5.0 will be released in July, all applications will not yet
have been ported. I think at least dolphin,
konsole and kate/kwrite will be ready, but kmail and others will take
longer. So, I think that maybe we should
keep KDE4 in blfs for a while after KDE 5.0 is released.

Btw. Nice work, Armin. Have you managed to get the 4.97.0 shell up and
running? It crashes on login for me.

Sincereley,
Ragnar