[blfs-dev] Linux-PAM and sudo

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Mon Jun 16 01:43:09 PDT 2014

Le 16/06/2014 07:28, ALZ (phyglos.org) a écrit :
> On 06/15/2014 04:34 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

>>> Sudo builds perfectly without pam.
>>
>> Earlier, I thought to reply to this, but always came up with too long or
>> too short replis, and gave up.
>>

> I've tested a few combinations of LFS new builds, either with
> Linux-PAM or without Linux-PAM installed, installing sudo later.
>
> sudo's ./configure effectively takes care of disabling --with-pam in a
> LFS system when no Linux-PAM is installed, regardless you included the
> switch or it was taken by default.
>
>>> I agree that the wording on the page is
>>> misleading. Maybe something like:
>>> "If PAM is installed on the system, sudo is built with PAM support.
>>> In that
>>> case, issue the following command."
>>> Note that the command may as well be issued without PAM support. It
>>> just
>>> creates a file, which is not used.
>>
>> I like this form. Please, if you don't mind, do it.
>
> I've found a rare case, in LFS with Linux-PAM installed but libraries
> manually uninstalled, where sudo's ./configure complains and stops the
> build, explicitly asking you for a --without-pam switch to be added.
>
> So if you ever need "sudo without PAM" in a LFS system "with
> Linux-PAM" installed, you should explicitly add --without-pam switch.
>
> I think I got the complete picture now. Thank you!
> ALZ.

Sorry, I did not receive Fernando's post.
Will reword the sentence in the book.

OTOH, I never receive Bruce's nor Frenando's posts to the list (seems
other's post are OK). I do not know what I can do to correct that. I
tried changing subscription settings to no avail. I am sure the posts do
not go to the SPAM trash on my computer. Maybe they are blocked by my
ISP, but I have no indication of that (and why would they do that). All
I can say is that it all began when the mail lists were moved.

Pierre