[blfs-dev] Linux-PAM and sudo

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun Jun 15 06:45:13 PDT 2014

Le 15/06/2014 15:06, ALZ (phyglos.org) a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> The sudo page in BLFS says:
>
> "If you've built Sudo with PAM support, issue the following command..."
>
> But neither the ./configure command nor the switches in command explanations
> refer to PAM at all.
>
> I had to go to sudo's source INSTALL file to know that it builds... --with-pam
> by default.
>
> May I suggest to rephrase the conditional statement
>
> "If you've built Sudo with PAM support, issue ..."
>
> by something like this?
>
> "Sudo builds with PAM support by default, so it may be necessary to issue ..."
>

> Moreover, should not be Linux-PAM a required dependency according to sudo's
> INSTALL file?
>
> ===
>
>  --with-pam
>     Enable PAM support.  This is on by default for Darwin, FreeBSD,
>     Linux, Solaris and HP-UX (version 11 and higher).

> Linux:
>     PAM and LDAP headers are not installed by default on most Linux
>     systems.  You will need to install the "pam-dev" package if
>     /usr/include/security/pam_appl.h is not present on your system.
>
> ===
>
> Thanks.
> ALZ.
Sudo builds perfectly without pam. I agree that the wording on the page is
misleading. Maybe something like:
"If PAM is installed on the system, sudo is built with PAM support. In that
case, issue the following command."
Note that the command may as well be issued without PAM support. It just
creates a file, which is not used.

Pierre