[blfs-dev] Linux-PAM and sudo

ALZ (phyglos.org) alz at phyglos.org
Sun Jun 15 06:06:20 PDT 2014

Hi,

The sudo page in BLFS says:

"If you've built Sudo with PAM support, issue the following command..."

But neither the ./configure command nor the switches in command
explanations refer to PAM at all.

I had to go to sudo's source INSTALL file to know that it builds...
--with-pam by default.

May I suggest to rephrase the conditional statement

"If you've built Sudo with PAM support, issue ..."

by something like this?

"Sudo builds with PAM support by default, so it may be necessary to
issue ..."

Moreover, should not be Linux-PAM a required dependency according to
sudo's INSTALL file?

===

  --with-pam
	Enable PAM support.  This is on by default for Darwin, FreeBSD,
	Linux, Solaris and HP-UX (version 11 and higher).

Linux:
     PAM and LDAP headers are not installed by default on most Linux
     systems.  You will need to install the "pam-dev" package if
     /usr/include/security/pam_appl.h is not present on your system.

===

Thanks.
ALZ.