[blfs-dev] Recent Activities

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Fri Jun 13 14:56:39 PDT 2014

	.
> What I was trying to do, and succeeded with gummiboot and using the
> kernel's efi stub, was to bypass Secure Boot but use the rest of the
> abilities of UEFI, mainly the use of more than four primary partitions.

UEFI is not needed to use GPT. (E.g. an 11-year-old p4/p4spa+ test-machine
here runs perfectly happily with all (>~4) disks GPT and min 16 (primary)
partitions per disk.)

	.
	.
> > For a GPT partition GRUB wants a special partition of it's own (1 Mb).
> > The first time I started it up I forgot that. I hadn't booted from a
> > GPT formatted disk before this.
> This I did not know. But, with the state of my knowledge today, doesn't
> GRUB, used like this, depend on installation in a "Legacy BIOS"
> situation? And doesn't "legacy BIOS" mean only four primary partitions?
> If there's no partition limitation, then I've been barking up the wrong
> tree.

The wikipedia and rodsbooks articles on GPT, might (still - haven't checked
in a while) be worth looking at. (Yes, there are other good refs too.)

	.
	.
> Until my last build, I'd never used *kit and PAM. Struggled through a
> lot and have seen on the list recently discussion of rules for the kits
> and PAM. I'd like to have more facility with writing these rules. Right
> now, if I have a problem that ends up needed a rule in this area, I need
> to appeal to the list for help, and, when the solution is a new or
> modified rule, type it verbatim into one of my files.

(( There's much 'Stockholm Syndrome' visible on many tech mailing lists
... ;)  .
))

rgds,

akh