[blfs-dev] Recent Activities

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Jun 13 10:27:09 PDT 2014

On 06/03/2014 03:31 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Just a note to say thinks to all who have helped in my exploration of
> a lot of new hardware. I have now made everything work on my new
> laptop and it has been a challenge.
And the same thanks to you from me for the same things. Exploring new
hardware is, let me say, interesting, frustrating, and satisfying.
Thanks for all you do, Bruce.
> One of the reasons I got the new system was to have additional HW to
> support BLFS development. Here is a list of things that I have now
> been able to check out:
I snipped much of the list.

> Bootable GPT Partition
> Disabling unneeded UEFI 'BIOS'

Could you please amplify on what you wanted and what you did. I'm
particularly interested in what you call "unneeded UEFI 'BIOS'"--what
you wanted to do, what prevented it and how you solved it. Also, I've
not, when I didn't make mistakes, not encountered my GPT partition not
booting. To what are you referring?

I completed a {,B}LFS system in late Feb to early March. The "dev team"
was involved in publishing LFS-7.5, testing BLFS against it and
overcoming inertia for the systemd experiment. As a result, and because
I wanted an LFS based system as my "go to," I got one working, but left
a few things to do. Life then interfered and I haven't gotten back until
just now.

I need dual boot capability because Apple, to my knowledge, has not
written a linux compatible version of iTunes. Additionally, I don't
currently have good printing and photo manipulation in my BLFS. Long
winded intro to saying--one of the things I wanted to do was use Grub,
employing its EFI stubs to boot my system. Currently I'm using gummiboot
and the kernel efi stub. But I really like Grub's capability and getting
to work in this environment would be really great. That is a goal of my
for this build.
> Along the way I've been able to study the Linux Kernel configuration
> in additional depth, work with polkt/consolkit, and finally explore
> gtk+ and some gnome applications that I didn't have before.
> <snipping>
> -- Bruce
Because of what I wanted to do graphically with xfce, actually
dependencies in BLFS, I got involved with polkit and consolekit so I'm
interested in riding along on the learning curve when it comes to this.

Dan