[blfs-dev] Miscellaneous issues regarding adding vnc

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 23:07:36 PDT 2014

akhiezer wrote:

>> The build of tigervnc is a bit unusual in that it wants to download
>> sources from network.  It also requires a library, fltk, and then
>> patches that library before build.
>
> Fwiw, we _never_ let packages download from the network during any part
> of builds.

The libreoffice in BLFS build does downloads.

>> Going back to issue 1, I could put both fltk and tigervnc procedures on
>> the same page.  We do a slightly similar thing in the Xorg drivers
>> section.  Is that reasonable?
>>

> Agh. One page per package. There's these things called 'links',
> 'cross-references', et al  ...  .

I understand your position, but there are a lot of pages in Xorg that do
multiple packages per page -- libs, apps, drivers, etc.

> In case not already seen, the following build approach might be of use
> for reference in addressing much of the points above:
> --
> * http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/tigervnc/build/tigervnc.SlackBuild
> * http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/tigervnc/build/
> --

Yes, that's useful.  I've been running into a problem in the default
build in that they are using older Xorg packages and someone used the
keyword 'public' as an identifier and gcc chokes on that.

typedef struct _DeviceIntRec {
     DeviceRec  public;

I'm sure that is fixed in newer versions, but I need to check the custom
patches that tigervnc does.

I'll note that slackware's build is using tigervnc-1.3.0, but current as
of 2014-03-19.