[blfs-dev] Problem lua-5.2.3 with Readline-6.3 and Ncurses-5.9

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sat Jun 7 10:58:27 PDT 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 3:20 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> Log further below.
>
> Error when building lua.
>
> I needed to use
>
> sed -i 's/-lreadline/-lreadline -lncurses/' src/Makefile
>
> (I prefer to explicitly repeat the search string, if it is not too
> large).
>
> Is it just me, or I should fix the book?

Greetings Fernando. I ran into this as well. I rarely build LUA, but I
decided and built today.

The problem is with the new Readline 6.3 build. 6.2 is fine.
If you do this with an LFS build before Readline 6.3 was introduced:

readelf -d /lib/libreadline.so.6.3 | grep NEEDED

should output:
  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
[libncursesw.so.5]
  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]

But with our current builds of readline 6.3 we only get:

  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
[libncursesw.so.5]

One way to fix this is to add --disable-static

The other way is to include SHLIB_LIBS=-lncurses during the make
install of readline.

Read the following bug report as to why this is happening with
Readline 6.3:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2014-03/msg00005.html

Sincerely,

William Harrington